SC - fried turkey

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 16:05:47 PST 2000

I figured this was a joke -
deep-frying
a whole turkey?

So, my question is, WHY??  Why would someone want to
deep-fry a whole
turkey?
 Does it cook faster?  Taste better?

The cajuns have been doing this for a long time.
(southern LA) and liek I think someone else ahs said,
they usually inject some sort of marinade in it. WIth
a huge hypodermic looking thing. I have one. THe
marinade is quite good. THey actually make several
that you can buy premade at the grocery stores. But
the turkey is good done this way. Lots of flavor,
cooks pretty quickly and nice an juicy, not all dried
out and stringy. I have a friend who lives in New
ORleans, and there are places down there that will
cook them for you, so you dont have to deal with all
the boiling oil. ANd I have yet to hear of anyone that
wasn'ta  commercial kitchen doing this inside. IT's
another use for the crawfish boil set up. A propane
burner, a big pot and a strainer that fits inside.I
ahve one of these too. I've never done the bird this
way myself, but have had it done for me. Give it a try
if you get a chance.
nisha