SC - Has anyone every canned persimmons?

kathleen.hogan at juno.com kathleen.hogan at juno.com
Mon Nov 27 20:04:58 PST 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:23:31 -0800 (PST) Huette von Ahrens
<ahrenshav at yahoo.com> writes:
> Hi, All!
>
> A friend of mine just gave me a whole bunch of
> persimmons in various states of ripeness.  I would
> love to can them, but all my canning books don't talk
> about canning them, just making jam or jelly out of
> them, which is not what I want.  Could anyone send me
> instructions on how to can them?

Mom has a whole mess of persimmon trees.  So I asked.  She said that she
cooks them down and puts them through a seive to remove the seeds & skins
and then FREEZES it in bags of 1-2 cups each.  She said she would not
recommend canning the puree.  She then thaws the bags out as she needs
them to make cookies, bread, etc.

Kati