SC - Poisonous Tomatoes?y

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 27 20:24:12 PST 2000

- --part1_26.da94c34.27548d6c_boundary

In a message dated 11/27/00 12:37:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jenne at mail.browser.net writes:

> My suspicion is that the belief that tomatoes were poisonous may well have
> been a superstition common in Northern Europe, but not reflected in
> scholarly treatises.

Something that has not been said is the fact that in most Northern European
countries the climate simply is not conducive to producing viable fruit on a
tomato plant within the short and cool growing season that exists. Even today
in Wales and, for that matter in most of England, tomatoes must be grown
under glass to provide ripe fruit for table use. Although we have varieties
now that are bred for short season production, these varieties simply did not
exist during the period oaf time that is under discussion.

Granted tomatoes can (and do produce nice foliage under circumstances which
include large amounts of moisture and animal manures (an agricultural
practice used in period) such conditions while producing large SHOWY
ornamental plants would not have produced fruiting bodies that would have
been very useful outside the ornamental garden.

I understand that this has little to do with whether they were considered
poisonous or not but it has a great amount of bearing on why their use as a
food product was delayed after their discovery and introduction to Europe.
Climatic conditions in Spain, Italy and Portugal (where they were apparently
used by more people earlier on) was more conducive to the maturation and
harvest of fruiting bodies in an amount which would have made them
agriculturally appealing.

I would suggest without any evidence to prove it that the had nots may well
have invented the poisonous theory to assuage their guilt over their
inability to grow the fruit.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol

- --part1_26.da94c34.27548d6c_boundary