SC - Thanksgiving

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Nov 27 20:49:51 PST 2000

We went to the house of some folks in our household, and had a very large
gathering.  We, too, had one of the now infamous fried turkeys, and it
was indeed the first time in a long time I have enjoyed turkey breast.
Lack of gravy just isn't a problem.  There was also a smoked turkey on
the table, which was yummy too.  I made a stuffed pork loin.  I peeled
the loin (cut it in a circular way, flattening it out to re-roll with
stuffing) and then made a stuffing of granny smith apples, dried
cranberries, crushed hazelnuts, bread and ginger.  I rolled it up and
roasted it until done, and unfortunately did not have enough time to
really let it cool and set up before slicing it.  We had to eat all of
the extra stuffing that would not stay in place, but oozed out when it
was sliced, oh darn.  I sliced it in 1/2 inch slices, and arranged them
on a platter with some ham slices the size of a finger rolled in strips
of yeast dough and baked, as well as some "trees in blankets" as someone
called them, broccoli and ham rolled in crescent rolls.  The whole idea
was to have food ready to eat immediately, without having to wait for the
table to be set up and everything to get ready.  If I am eating that
large of a meal, I want to spread it out over some time, not wait for one
large serving.  I also bought some Fuyu persimmons at my store, and baked
some persimmon muffins.  They were a bit over-done when I got to them,
but went very nicely with the Bryers Vanilla ice cream and ginger syrup
that another lady in my household brought.  I was given a copy of this
month's "Saveur" magazine, which has a recipe for persimmon pudding in
it, which I followed only as a suggestion.  (I will post the recipe in a
separate message.)
	Other contributions on the table were mac and cheese, the ubiquitous
green bean casserole with french fried onions, blue corn muffins, two
kinds of corn pudding (Temair's was the better of the two, she also
brought a large oriental vegetable salad with fried ramen, yum),
chocolate pies, apple pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and a lemon pound cake.
There was more, but suffice it to say it was a groaning board.
We came home early, changed into comfy clothes, and watched rented
movies.  A very relaxing couple of days.
Oh, yes, and I have made the transformation to Mrs. Claus over the
weekend as well.  (If you want to see what I mean, send me a private
message and I'll send you our picture!)
The Christmas season is officially under way for us now, so the relaxing
weekend was very pleasant.
Christianna