SC - Re: pigeon peas

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 28 12:08:55 PST 2000

Vincent Cuenca wrote:

>   The Spanish name is gandules; the Latin name is
> >Cajanus cajan.
>
> Odd linguistic footnote:  "gandul" in Spanish also means a lazy person.  I
> wonder where this came from?  Any thoughts?

A person who shows about as much initiative as a beanie baby? <grin, duck, run>

Apropos of metaphors for laziness, here's one I learned as a song title.  "Donal na
Grainne" meaning Donal of the Sun.  No, that's not a claim of extra-terrestrial origin,
apparently lazy Don is sleeping in the sun instead of working.  He's probably supposed to
be planting pigeon peas [she said, steering back on topic].

Selene