SC - Re: stock & soup

KarenO kareno at lewistown.net
Tue Nov 28 18:20:52 PST 2000

THL Stefan wrote:
.>Mymother-in-law was about the throw out the two turkey carcasses  and I
grabbed
> the other. I proceeded to try to make soup from them. After boiling them
for a while, I strained out all the meat and bones, added some previously
saved turkey meat, some chopped onions and celery and some chopped garlic.
Then some wild rice mix. But I found that after cooking this for another 25
minutes that the broth was rather thin >

    Okay,  coz this is one of my favorite parts of  "the day after:"  The
carcass, and an onion, celery, carrot, sage crumbled,peppercorns, thyme  a
bay leaf in a soup kettle covered in water and let it simmer merrily away
for a couple  of hours  (an afternoon).  Strain out everything & dispose of
the chunky stuff.  let the stock simmer another hour to evaporate the water.
Some people like to stop here & refridgerate the stock to defat it  --
usually not enough on a turkey carcass to worry about.    Now add stuff for
a hearty soup (including salt)  The broth should be much more flavorful &
heartier.  The secret is allowing the stock to concentrate after removing
the carass & stuff.

Caointiarn