SC - Easy period soups?

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Sun Oct 1 13:57:01 PDT 2000

Chris Stanifer wrote:

> --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> , in a
> > world that can have walnut pesto, parsley pesto,
> > sun-dried tomato pesto
> > (ick), this one is simply pesto, which to me
> > suggests some element of mainstream-ness...
> >
> > Adamantius
>
> Ick??  ICK??  Well, as I'm sure you've heard
> before..."you've never tried MY sundried tomato
> pesto."  But, before I divulge the highly secret and
> complex recipe, let me ask you this:  What is it about
> sundried tomato pesto you don't like?  Taste, texture,
> color ??  If it's either of the latter, I won't be
> able to win you over.... but if it is the former, I
> may have a fighting chance.

You may indeed. I was speaking rather lightly, but the unfortunate
reality is I am probably prejudicial about certain food trends which
have been known to place the value of the trendy food as higher than
that of non-trendy foods _because_ they are trendy. As with insider
trading on the stock market, I have seen food writers wax religious on
the subject of foods that are simply perfectly good foods (including
sun-dried tomatoes, portobello mushrooms, flourless chocolate cake,
lapsang souchong, California verjuice, ad infin-bloomin'-itum), in
attempts to establish them as trendy by claiming that they _are_ trendy.
They all tend to remind me of the celebrities that inhabit television
game shows. Occupation? Celebrity. What do you do for a living? I appear
on game shows.

Food X is tendy. Everyone is eating it. Why? Because it is trendy.
Everyone is eating it.

Unfortunately, I believe I have been conditioned into viewing sun-dried
tomatoes as one such food, placing my abhorrence of their trendiness
over a period of years above any legitimate virtues they may, and
assuredly do, possess.

And that is why I say "Ick" to sun-dried tomato pesto. Not because it
isn't good. Because I hate it. ;  ) It is symbolic of all that is wrong
with some modern eclectic cuisine. Or... Let's just say I reserve the
right to be unreasonable on certain issues, like anybody else.

Adamantius (Who enjoys a good roasted tomato, halved, seeded, drizzled
with olive oil, garlic, Kosher salt and fresh thyme, and roasted in a
200 degree F. oven for eight hours or so. Store submerged in the olive oil...)
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com