SC - where is everybody?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 2 11:03:58 PDT 2000

>However, one item I did find and buy was quince paste! Baron Akim had
>brought a big jar of the homemade version to the last Pennsic War. It
>was wonderful! I'm still hoping to find fresh quinces in the store this
>year. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying this packaged quince paste.
>It says it is pure quince paste, made of just quince and sugar. It is
>imported from Spain by Amertrade Internacional Foods, Austin, TX 78764.
>Made by: TRAFRUT CANO, S.L., Malaga (Spain) with telephone and fax
>numbers given, if anyone wishes email me. The label says "Corazon
>del Sol"
>
>It was $5.49 (US) for 400g/14.1 oz. Somewhat expensive, but from
>what others have said, so are quinces.

Stefan, you lucky dog.  What you have there is a verifiable, no-foolin food
of the Gods.  I don't know how you had it at Pennsic, but "dulce de
membrillo" or quince paste is usually eaten with a soft white cheese
(mozzarella works wonderfully).  Similar pastes are made of guava and sweet
potato (dulce de guayaba or dulce de batata, respectively).  My dad, who was
born in Colombia, goes nuts for dulce de guayaba.

Vicente
(wiping drool off the keyboard)