SC -Puck's Lombard Mustard

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Oct 4 13:36:29 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/4/00 3:09:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes
<<My grandmother, raised as a very prim and proper upper crust Canadian lady
>  before the Depression, used to make a cucumber dish that I would like to
>  duplicate. It's a rich cucumber and sour cream dish. It might be cream, I'm
>  not sure. I'm recalling memories of eating this dish years ago. The
>  cucumbers sit in a white sauce that is very tasty. <grin> To me, it evokes
>  images of  summer, like a blt with a freshly picked tomato does.
>
>  My questions are:
>
>  Does anyone have a good recipe for such a dish?
>  Would something like this be at all period? I don't know for sure if cukes
>  are period?

I don't have a recipe per se, but my family (grandmother) used to make such a
dish. The cukes were sliced very thin and the sauce if I remember correctly
was either Mayo or Miracle Whip (oh, no, here we go again) and milk with salt
and pepper added. It's funny because when we were tolerating :) the MW
discussion, I kept thinking about that recipe.
I used to  help make it and vaguely recall 1 cup MW to .5 cup milk, and
season to taste.

Hope this is helpful

This was a main staple at Sunday dinner. I am as well, Canadian, although
that may be irrelevant in this case.

Hauviette