SC - OP: Vodka Cream Sauce and Sour Cherry Soup

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 5 07:56:58 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From:  Adamantius

> Salt would be there, most likely, to make gluten strands extensible, for
> a lighter bread. I don't think it has much direct beneficial effect on
> the yeast itself, although I suppose anything's possible.

Actually, the book which came with my breadmaker says that the salt is there
to impede the growth of the yeast and the sugar is present to encourage it.
What I have never quite grasped is why one can't just cut the amount of
sugar.  I think that the book says that the use of the two ingredients helps
regulate the amount of rise.

Gwynydd