SC - Gemstones

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Oct 6 12:37:39 PDT 2000

<< If Thomas is correct (...) and "flur" is actually "feuer," then this
could mean that this dish is baked in a kettle with coals on top. >>
(Bear)

As I said: the form in the manuscript is not "flur" but "fiür", and THAT
(the form _fiür_) means 'fire'. I think the
kettle-with-coals-on-top-interpretation is the one to go.

<< The result was somewhat pizza-like:  a flat bread crust topped with
the egg, cheese and herb filling. (...) I also omitted the flowers,
since I couldn't get them to survive the baking process. >> (Rose)

Another good reason for omitting the flowers is, that they are not
mentioned in the recipe at all (see above)  ;-)

<< Thomas, is there a significant difference in either time period or
geography between Guter Spise and ... can't remember the name of the
other book, but the one with the Marzipan recipe you've been helping me
with?  What I'm wondering is would 'blat' in Guter Spise possibly be
some dialectic variant of 'oblat?' >> (Puck)

The other book was Staindl 1569. Both are from Southern Germany, the
Buch von guter Speise is from around 1350, while the first edition of
Staindl was printed in 1544. Clearly, _blat_ (today _Blatt_) and _oblat_
(today _Oblate_; from Latin _oblatum_) are two different words that are
not related.

Have fun everybody,
Thomas