cook's cote (was Re: SC - test- don't read)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed Oct 11 04:08:45 PDT 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> >"... vnd sollen fein weisse saubere Ha:embder/ auch nicht schmutzige/
> >rotzige vnd beschmirige/ sondern fein reine/ hu:ebsche/ saubere/ kurtze/
> >nicht weitte/ zodende/ hangende vnd lumpende/ sondern wolgemachte enge
> >Kleider/ an Hosen vnd Wammes/ antragen"
> >(from Rumpolt's office of and requirements for a cook, 1581).
<snip>
> Are there more interesting details in that quote? Can you, Thomas, or
> anyone else who knows German put that into English, please. I speak
> and read three languages, but German isn't one of them.

Very, very roughly, before tea and before ransacking the place for my
German dictionary...

"and [you?] should... have on... fine, white, clean shirts, also not
dirty, rusty and besmeared, various fine [reine /hu:ebsche -- can't even
guess at the moment] clean, short, not too wide, nor drooping or lumpy
[a guess]... then something about skirts, hosen and some other unknown
noun [Wammes]."

Infinitive verb at the end of it all, see "should... have on..." above.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com