cook's cote (was Re: SC - test- don't read)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 11 05:11:10 PDT 2000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

[description of real chefs coats snipped]

So a suitable cooks garment should:

* have a double front
* have extra long sleeves, normally turned up
* be easy to remove quickly
* have plenty of spare in shoulder/armpit area

Have I missed anything? As to fabric choice linen is pretty much assumed
in my case. Synthetics are evil (or would a nomex cooks coat be a good
thing?).

> I've found these design features translate really well into a white (or
> rather, unbleached, undyed cotton or linen) cote such as you see in the
> 14th-15th-century Tacuinum Sanitatis illustrations of various workmen,
> including cooks. (Have I just answered my own question?) Making one in
> the form of a Greenland gown looks spiffy, but, I found, isn't as
> functionally comfortable.

Not sure what a "del" is (mongol coat, says
http://members.tripod.com/~whitebard/terms.htm), but for my early (10th
century) persona there is AFAIK only two possibilities for a cooks
garment inspired by the chefs coat.

1. the short "kimono style" jacket, or
2. a tunic.

The jacket would have several advantages (easy to remove, natural double
front), while a tunic would be more natural in the material in question.
I'm thinking of making a garment with a slightly oversized shoulder
section, and bias cut armpit inserts[1]. The idea of a jacket sounds
more and more appealing. Any suggestions/advice?

/UlfR

[1] I know, bias cut material is questionable in the 10th century.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
It looks like I picked the wrong week to give up breathing
		-- Lloyd Bridges