SC - test- don't read

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Wed Oct 11 18:35:11 PDT 2000

Up until recently I've relied on the help of Old El Paso and pre-prepared
sauces to make Mexican foods but I'm learning to actually cook Mexican from
scratch.  (I haven't gotten to the point of making my own tortillas yet,
because I don't have easy access to my own kitchen, but that will come a
bit later.)  Currently I'm researching tamales as both my husband and
myself enjoy *good* tamales (not particularly hot, but savory ones.)
However, I've run into a bit of a delimna.  Authentic recipes use lard and
I'm not sure what results I'll get if substituting vegetable shortening or
butter.   I'd prefer not to use lard unless absolutely necessary.

So... my question is, what experience have other folks had with tamales.
And if you'd like to share your favorite recipes as well as techniques,
that would also be appreciated.

Finally, I know that corn meal is not period, but is there a period
precedent for the tamale or the enchilada?  I'd be interested in knowing
what kind of similar foods existed in period, if any did at all.

As always, I appreciate any information that folks would like to share.

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier