SC - guava

Gaylin J. Walli gwalli at ptc.com
Mon Oct 16 11:05:48 PDT 2000

The origin of the name guava is the word guayaba, which I think is either
Carib or Arawak, suggesting that the origin is further south than the
Bahamas.

While guavas are commercially grown in Florida and California, I don't
believe they are native to either area.

If the guava made an early debut, it is probably recorded by Gonzales
Fernando de Oviedo y Valdez in his Historia general y natural de las Indias,
Islas y Tierra-Firme del Mar Oceano originally published in Toledo in 1526.
There is an early 20th Century Spanish edition of the book and there was
supposedly an English translation done in the mid 1980's.

Come to think of it, the guava may be mentioned in the Diario of Christopher
Columbus.  I'll have to check when I get home.

Bear