SC - Ein Kuchen

Mon Oct 16 20:17:48 PDT 2000

Bear wrote:
> My translation, notes, and comments:
>
> A cake.
>
> How you make an almond cake.  Thus, make a good milk of almond kernals.  And
> seethe (1) this.  And stir (2) it down with a sugar.  And pour that upon a
> cloth.  And a schaub (3) there under.  And make a dough (4) of semmel meal
> (semolina).  And wille that with a shaft (5).  And lay the boiled almonds
> thereon.  And cut that down.  And fry it in a pan in fat (6).  That is
> called an almond cake.

It looks like you are pretty much on the right track. Sorry, I can't help
you with the schaub except to wonder if it might be a colloquial expression
for a sieve of some sort, from the context in which it is used.

> The dough is a semmel dough which I would expect to be made of at least 0
> fine semolina flour.  I'm also of the opinion this is a leavened dough,

semeln melwe (Semmel mehl) isn't semolina flour, but bread crumbs from
Semmel, a white bread roll.

Valoise