SC - Jerkies

Serian serian at uswest.net
Mon Oct 16 21:30:05 PDT 2000

Ann & Les Shelton wrote:

> So, it looks like apples were commonly available as a food, but I don't
> have anything that says they were turned into something like cider in
> period.

Markham, who I sadly don't have on hand at the moment, gives us the recipe for
making hard cider and perry in _The English Housewife_ which is slightly post
period.  In the anglo-saxon food and drink books, (which I also don not have to
hand) the author mentions (no recipes) that hard cider and hard cider with
?cherries? (I think that was the fruit) were both commonly drunk at that time
(which is definitely w/in SCA period.  One good way to determine whether
something was drunk is to look at the language.  French had (has?) a specific
word for wine made from grapes, apples, pears, and blackberries.
- -Magdalena (who misses her references!)