SC - Re:Milk in Bags

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 17 06:25:52 PDT 2000

> Pack a big basket of period food and donate it to the cause or initiate the
> new members to it before the hamburgers are served. Make it a point to
> educate the new members that the food they are being served (hamburgers,
> etc.) is NOT in anyway period food and is not to be expected at the large
> majority of events they will be attending. Volunteer to host the next fight
> practice so such things won't happen again.

Can I ask a stupid question: why is it so offensive that at a gathering
where people are not expected to wear period clothing, period food might
not be the only thing served? I'm sure that the people on this list would
not be saying to newbies "well, you KNOW this isn't period food, don't
expect modern food at SCA events" in such a way as to come across as
authenticity snobs, but it seems to me (with my chatelaine hat on) that
there is no harm in an informational meeting/cookout, especially if
someone brings a sampling of GOOD period nibblies for people to try.
I can see why having non-period food at an SCA event, or even a revel,
might be a problem. But at a party?

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker