SC - Re:Milk in Bags

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 17 11:47:46 PDT 2000

Bear wrote:

>The name Lucayos is derived from the Spanish name for the Bahamas, Los
>Cayos.

Thank you for the confirmation. This is what the pamphlet says too.

>A quick web search turned up one hit in the Margaret P. Hess Pamphlet
>Collection at the University of Calgary.  The collection listed; The Lucayos
>cook book, Morrisburg, Ont., Old Authors Farm, 1959; 95 pgs.

The information about the University of Calgary is new to me as
is the name of Ms. Hess. But the rest of the information seems to
match, even the number of pages.

>Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any information readily available.
>Does the pamphlet peovide any other clues?

 From the pamphlet, only what the description says in the introduction
about why the cookbook was published. Roughly from memory, it says
that the book was dated by the text author at 1660, but had been in
the hands of the family for 100+ years, including time spent on
the European continent prior to the settlement in the Bahamas.
Without the pamphlet in front of me, though, I might be missing
some clue in the text.

The other clues would have to be etymological or associative from
recipes that could compare to period or near period recipes. I'd be
happy to make you a copy of the pamphlet if you'd like to take a
look at it for research purposes.

Iasmin

Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at ptc.com or iasmin at home.com