SC - Herb blends for soft cheeses--a question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Oct 17 21:51:18 PDT 2000

Gwendolen asked:
> Is there any way to make jerky without the use of a dehydrator (i.e., in a
> conventional oven or microwave)?  If so, does anyone have any recepies for
> mild flavors of beef or poultry jerky?

Part of the trick is drying the meat slowly. If you can get your oven
down to a low enough temperature you can probably do it. But you will
spend a lot more in energy costs than some other alternatives or even
buying a second hand or discount dehydrator.

This file, which I think I mentioned in another message, contains plans/
descriptions on how to make solar dehydrators as well as multiple
recipes for seasoning meat for jerky. One of the main things is to
use very fat free meat and to slice it very thinly so that it doesn't
spoil before it reaches a point of dryness to prevent spoilage.

drying-foods-msg  (35K)  8/24/99    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net