SC - rosettes? pizelli?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 18 10:04:41 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/17/00 12:40:52 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
phlip at morganco.net writes:

> How in blazes
>  are we going to get people to eat "strange" medieval foods, if we can't
cook
>  fairly modern ones properly?

I hear this. We attended a feast not long ago that was absolutely wonderfully
prepared, expertly served, and coursed appropriately. There was vegetarian
fare, fowl only, and assorted meats. Something for everyone. The only fault I
found with the feast was particular to us. My lord, who had looked up the
menu online, had believed he would enjoy it as well. He has stomach problems
with fowl, and doesn't like eating just vegees at a feast; so this looked
promising. Once there the ingredients list was posted for each item at the
table. A wonderful thing for the cook to do and highly appreciated, as
unfortunately, he found he could eat only one entry in the group. Everything
had either Parmsaen Cheese in it or sprinkled on it. He has a death allergy
to Parm Cheese. The meat was a wonderful concoction of organ meats, and
tasted delicious to me, but he was afraid to try for fear of finding Parm
somewhere in the mix. It was listed as "Italian Meat" and had sprinkles that
looked amazingly like they could have included dried cheese. He ended up
being able to eat the rice pudding and fruit dessert plate, and adored the
Brussel Sprout dish that was served in a vinegrette. After the feast we took
him to Sonic Hamburger for his "dead beast" fix.

I think most of the worst feasts I've ever been to, now that I think about
it, were the ones where I couldn't see the menu and list ingredients in
advance. Our Barony has taken to now posting the upcoming feast and
ingredients in the newsletter and our online site, so this shouldn't be a
problem in the future.

Everything we had was hot, served well, and very timely. Each table was about
20 people, and we had two servers per table. So, very nicely done.

Lars