SC - FoodTV idea

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 20 22:46:35 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 20 Oct 00, , that Olwen the Odd wrote:

> So tell me, are you making your own molds?

I only have one.  I made it of Sculpey, which is a bakeable polymer
clay.  It's non-toxic, though not recommended for food use.  I
wouldn't use it for a goblet, but it doesn't seem that a few seconds
contact with each pit is likely to have Dire Results.  However, I
have commissioned a potter to make me one or more molds from
earthenware, and when I have those -- probably next month -- I will
discard the old mold.

If you have access to a potter (or even just access to a kiln), it
should be pretty easy to make a mold.  Press each side of a
peach pit into two separate blocks of clay.  Remove carefully.  Fire
the mold.  There has also been some discussion on this list about
other modern mold-making materials.  Liquid latex was one, I think.

>I have never used (or heard of)  sanders.  Is it a liquid?

As I think someone has already expalined, it's an odorless powder,
made from sandalwood.  It looks like paprika.  You can get it from
the Pepperer's Guild.  I suspect Francisco Sirene would also sell it.
 If you have to substitute food coloring, use a dark red, and use a
paste coloring, like they sell for cake frosting.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net