SC - I'm back

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 22 20:42:09 PDT 2000

Thomas gave some info about salt refining and then gave the referance:
> - -- Jean-Claude Hocquet: Weisses Gold. Das Salz und die Macht in Europa
> von 800 bis 1800 [white gold; salt and power in Europe from 800 to
> 1800]. Stuttgart 1993. -- Includes a bibliography with exactly 500
> titles on various aspects of the production, the use and the economics
> of salt.
>
> In case you don't read German, stick to the original ("Le sel et
> le Pouvoir", Paris 1985) in French ... ;-) I don't know if the book was
> translated into English.

Thanks, Thomas. This is just the sort of book I've been deciding I
wanted to read after this, and previous threads, about salt in the
Middle Ages. Unfortunately, I don't speak anything but English well
enough to get through any book in another language. I'll have to
see what I can find in English.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net