SC - Going to NY

ekoogler@chesapeake.net ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Oct 23 21:06:14 PDT 2000

> << Does anyone have any documentation regarding ... sour krout >>
>
> For Germany, the use of sauerkraut is well attested since the Middle
> ages. (...)
>
> For Hungary, there is a passage in one of Rumpolt's (1581) menues for a
> banquet of the King of Hungary and Bohemia:
> "...  Ein saur Kraut gekocht mit einem geräucherten Speck/ vnd dürren
> Würsten/ vnd auch mit geräucherten Capaunen vnd Hüner"
> '... sauerkraut cooked with smoked bacon ...'
> (Rumpolt was born in Hungary.)
>
> For Prussia, there are inventaries of the German order mentioning vats
> or barrels with "kompost", "kompostkol", "suercompist" etc. in the 15th
> century, with "sawerkrawt" in the 16th century. [1] However, the earlier
> Jeroschin chronicle says that "kol", from which sauerkraut is made, was
> unknown to the Prussians in early days ("... gesen die brudre ezzin kol,
> des di Pruzin nicht inpflagin nutzin dennoch bi den tagin", roughly '(a
> visitor) saw that the brethren were eating cabbage, which the Prussians
> themselves did not eat in those early days').
>
> TH.
> [1] Quotes from these inventories can be found in: Brunhilde Reitz: Die
> Kultur von 'brassica oleracea' im Spiegel der deutschen Sprache [The
> culture of brassica oleracea/cabbage in the mirror of the German
> language]. Diss. Marburg. Giessen 1964.

And, if you really want to go far afield, I ran across documentation some time
ago (don't have it now, sorry!), that pickled cabbage was used to feed the
Confucian scholars that Chin Shih Huang Ti (don't have the Pin-Yin spelling
available here...) forced to build the Great Wall...we're talking 3rd Century,
C.E.

Kiri

This email message was sent using web-based email services provided by Chesapeake.Net
Internet Services.
http://www.chesapeake.net/