SC - black food

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 00:43:17 PDT 2000

Master Llew (I think) wrote

>  Remember, cooking is a plastic art. There is never a spicing error
> as long as that particular cook has decided that the dish is to
> their liking.

I must take issue with this view.

I would suggest that at an SCA feast (and I emphasise that I am
speaking in the general sense, not referring to the feast that initially
started this thread), it is a spicing error if the feasters in general find
the spicing unpalatable, regardless of whether the cook likes the
result. In such a context, the cook is preparing a dish for the
feasters, not for themself.

It seems to me that one reason that the populace of some places
may be reluctant to eat period food is that they don't trust their
cooks to provide a meal that is to their taste. If the populace _does_
trust the cooks, they are more likely to at least sample whatever is
put in front of them. Such trust relies on the cook considering more
than just their own tastes.

One of my favourite moments as a cook was when someone told me
that they'd looked askance at the menus droits I served, but tasted
them because they trusted me to serve good food, and found that
they quite liked the dish.

Edward Long-hair
Southron Gaard, Caid