SC - Apicius Question

grizly@mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 24 18:20:04 PDT 2000

At 4:37 PM -0400 10/9/00, harper at idt.net wrote:
>It seems to me that sometime, somewhere, I read that one way to
>flavor spit-roasted meat was to thwack it with bundles of herbs
>while it was roasting.  Does anyone know if this was done in
>period?  And where references to it might be?
>
>Lady Brighid ni Chiarain

There is a Platina recipe where you are using the herbs to baste a
roast kid (yes, I mean young goat) with a sauce; here it is.

Kid in Garlic
Platina Book 6 p. 97 (Falconwood edition)

Grease a whole kid or the fourth part of one, with lard and cleaned
garlic cloves; put it on a spit and turn it near the fire.  Baste it
often with sprigs of bay leaf or rosemary and the sauce which I am
about to describe.  Take verjuice and the rich juice of the meat, the
yolks of two eggs well beaten, two cloves of garlic well pounded, a
dash of saffron and a little pepper and mix this all together and
pour it into a dish.  With this (as I said) you baste what you are
cooking.  When it is cooked, put it into a dish and pour part of the
sauce over it and sprinkle with finely chopped parsley.  This food,
when it is well cooked, should be served quickly and not let cool.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook