SC - Re: Worst Critique Ever

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Oct 24 23:49:24 PDT 2000

This may have been true of the Norse in their homelands. It may
not have been true when the Norse voyaged to other areas. The
accounts of the Norse in Byzantine by the Moslems detail quite
the opposite. While the exact quote is buried in the Florilegium,
the paraphrase is that the Norse were dirty and stinky and didn't
bother to bath even after sex. There may or may not have been a
bit of bias in these descriptions.

If you like, I'll try to locate the quote.

Stefan

> >Leanna,
> >
> >Vikings were looked down upon in several contexts not only for
> >their propensity for attacking "unarmed Irish clerics"(note: not
> >any Irish clerics I have ever met, but that is neither here nor
> >there) but because they were indecent enough to take off all
> >their clothing and enter into steam lodges with great frequency.
> >
> >And it carries through to today.  The members of the SCA I met
> >in Nordmark (mundanely Sweden) are great lovers of showers,
> >baths, saunas, hot tubs, swimming, and all things water.  They
> >were much more bathed and sanitary than many a Saxon farmer or
> >Paris merchant!
> >
> >Tyrca
>
> Tyrca, thanks for repairing my ignorance in this area.  Leanna the available

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net