SC - Re: Worst Critique Ever

Edgar, Terry EdgarT at JM.com
Wed Oct 25 05:48:21 PDT 2000

Try this soup - it is totally vegetarian and tastes amazing (even my
daughter likes it!!!),.  I put it through the grating disc on my Mouli (the
fine one has worn down so much that it really only works as a glorified
strainer)  which gives a lovely texture.

Black Bean Soup - serves 6 - 8
from "The 25th Anniversary Moosewood Cookbook"

 2 c      dry Black Beans, soaked or pressure cooked
     6 c      water
     1 tb     olive oil
     3 c      chopped onions
    10 medium cloves garlic, crushed
     2 tsp    cumin
     2 tsp    salt
     1 medium carrot, diced
     1 medium bell pepper, diced
 1 1/2 c      orange juice
     2 medium tomatoes, diced (optional) - or 1 large tin tomatoes [I don't
consider these to be optional!]

Place the soaked beans in a kettle or Dutch oven with 4 cups water.  Bring
to a boil, cover, and simmer until tender.

Heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet.  add onion, half the garlic,
cumin, salt, and carrot.  Saute over medium heat until the carrot is just
tender.  Add the remaining garlic and the bell pepper.  Saute until
everything is very tender (another 10 to 15 minutes).   add the sauteed
mixture to the beans, scraping in every last morsel.

Stir in orange juice, black pepper, cayenne, and optional tomatoes.  puree
all or some of the soup in a blender or food processor,  and return to the
kettle.  simmer over a very low heat 10 to 15 minutes more.  Serve with an
artful arrangement of sour cream, cilantro, and salsa.

Notes:
Beans may be cooked in a pressure cooker using the same amount of water;
reserve the liquid to add to the soup as above.