SC - I am So Ashamed! (long)

Hupman, Laurie LHupman at kenyon.com
Wed Oct 25 14:23:28 PDT 2000

Let me apologize up front, I should have been more clear.  My local
newspaper ran a review this morning of a new cookbook:  traditional Wiccan
cooking.  From the article, the book seems to perpetuate the same old myths
about medieval food that we constantly see popping up elsewhere, especially
the idea that medieval food was heavily spiced to hide the taste of rotting
meat.  Of the three representative recipes included in the article, one is
for apple scones and the other for chocolate "All Hallows' Eve Cakes."  I
have my doubts about the authenticity of the scones, as I do not know as
much about baked goods as I should, but I really don't think the chocolate
cookies qualify as medieval Wiccan cooking.  Another recipe, referred to but
not reprinted, is for one of the authors' grandmother's tamales.

My problem is not that it is Wiccan, but that it does not present an
accurate picture of medieval cooking.  Instead, it uses the veneer of
Wiccanism (is that a word?) to present the same shoddy research and
half-truths that we've tried so hard to dispel.

BTW, if anyone missed the article the first time around, it can be found at:
http://www.santa-cruz.com/archive/2000/October/25/bay/stories/1bay.htm

Rose