SC - Curry

Jeffrey Miller eogan at amazon.com
Thu Oct 26 12:04:43 PDT 2000

Greetings,

I am new to this list, and hail from the Barony of Gyldenholt in Caid.  While
certainly not new to cooking, I find I have much to learn about cooking in
the SCA.  I have been looking for a recipe for something I was given at a
recent event, and was called an oatcake.  Most of the recipes I find for
oatcakes have been savory, but this was somewhat sweet and contained black
walnuts.  I have a modern recipe for something called *flapjacks*, which I
believe would produce something similar in taste and texture to what I was
given to sample, but it contains something called *golden syrup*.  I thought
this might be honey, as the recipe suggests putting the jar in hot water
before attempting to measure, but there is also brown sugar in the recipe:

4 oz. butter
4 oz. soft brown sugar
3 oz. golden syrup
8 oz. medium or coarse oatmeal (porridge oats are suitable)
2 heaped teaspoons ground ginger

Can anyone help?
Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh