SC - Cheap wine for cooking

margali margali at 99main.com
Thu Oct 26 13:03:21 PDT 2000

Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh said:
> I am new to this list, and hail from the Barony of Gyldenholt in Caid.
While
> certainly not new to cooking, I find I have much to learn about cooking
in
> the SCA.  I have been looking for a recipe for something I was given at a
> recent event, and was called an oatcake.  Most of the recipes I find for
> oatcakes have been savory, but this was somewhat sweet and contained
black
> walnuts.  I have a modern recipe for something called *flapjacks*, which
> believe would produce something similar in taste and texture to what I
was
> given to sample, but it contains something called *golden syrup*.

First, welcome to the list!  I've learned a lot since I've been here.  The
volume can be a bit daunting, which can sometimes require you to pick and
choose which threads to follow, but the participation is generally
rewarding with a great deal of substance and virtually *no* flamage :-)

Second, I hope that my feedback doesn't turn out to be generally unhelpful.
I'm hoping that someone else will sound in on this too before long, because
my memory is vague on this...
    I believe that I've seen "golden syrup" in the grocery store.  IIRC, it
was next to the dark and light corn syrups and my impression was that it
was a type of caramalized corn syrup at the time, but I didn't buy and or
try it.  And it *may* be something which is only available locally (I
recall a less commercial looking label than usual.)  Since I live in the
South, sometimes things like that show up (like there's a syrup down here
called "Table Syrup" which is just basically a simply syrup which is
flavored with either molasses or maple (can't remember which) and thickened
with corn syrup... much like imitation maple syrup but not labeled as
such.)

What may be more helpful is that I am almost positive that my cookbook on
Irish Country Cooking has more than one recipe for oatcakes and I seem to
recall that they are sweet.  If you'd like me to I'll try and look them up
for you in the next few days and post one or more of them.  Of course they
are probably modern... although they may be "traditional", the book isn't
specifically documented with dates for the foods.  But I'd be happy to
share them if folks are interested.

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier