SC - Scottish oatcakes

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 26 13:28:13 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/26/00 12:38:10 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
jenne at mail.browser.net writes:

> Foods that don't fall in the usual discussion are kid, goat, mutton,
> coney, hare, and the wide variety of small birds. My feeling is that Le
> Menagier at least liked Lagomorph meat as much as he liked poultry... In
> England, peasants were forbideen to trap rabbits at one time, becuase they
> were an imported animal, kept in special warrens by coneyers who worked
> for landowners!

I would have to get with my Baron, that taught the class I'm about to cite,
to find out his documentation, but I agree with this. As well as the comment
about the uppers not sticking strictly to chicken. The class, at Colligium,
covered "The Renn Kitchen". One of the things I wrote down was how Dove is
considered a "common" food today, but in period "Dove Cloisters" were created
in the castles of uppers to encourage doves to roost. Young boys would climb
to the top of the cloisters, shoo out the birds, and then net them for use in
dinners. Heck of a lot of effort if the Masters of the castle didn't **eat**
them or considered them **below station**.

Lars