SC - backward research was rosettes? pizelli?

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 26 16:02:04 PDT 2000

>The history of waffle cookies/wafers is a pet project of
>mine because of a long history of a waffle recipe in my
>family.  (I know, some of you think this is a backwards way
>to get into food research, but that's what sparked my
>curiosity in this particular instance).> Lady Serian

This is probably the exception that makes the rule.  You had an interest in
a particular food item and upon not much research you discover they were
widely known and pretty much like what we serve now. Our lives as SCA cooks
would be easier, but maybe not as much fun, if this happened more often.

A lot of new cooks assume that any simply made dish must be 'old'.
Roast Beef is surely a simple food, and probably was eaten. There are all
sorts of instruction on how to roast and carve all sorts of animals, but
hunks of plain roast beef doesn't show up in the way someone new to medieval
cooking might expect.

In most cases though, the food of interest is a combination of sub-recipes.
Which makes proving it backwards even harder. Apple pie, for instance.  Has
any of us a reference for a relatively flat, item baked in a trap with an
edible paste crust under and over, a single sort of sliced fruit and mild
sugaring and spicing?  The new researcher who is certain it can be
documented first finds themself bogged down in the edible vs. not-edible
coffin with no real recipes for pastry until late.  Then they find various
fruit/dried fruit/multi-spice mixtures, as well as whole baked fruit (the
quince thread) and in either case the recipes are likely to have meat,
marrow or other not-like-modern additions. There's also the apple sauce
recipes.  All of these apple ideas are delicious but not likely to be served
if the cook feels that defaulting to Apple Pie is acceptable because they
had all the ingredients so surely they made it. Therefore, we encourage them
to look to the existing recipes and cook those they find interesting, rather
than default to what they already know how to cook because it might have
been served.

Note, this is not a flame against you or anyone else, just a good place to
explain the reasoning behind the start in the past plan being supported
against starting with now and going backward.

Also note, my first intention upon joining this list was to document apple
pie. And not just any, but an apple custard pie that I found i no longer
recall where but it carried the name of Duke of Marlborough pie.  I've never
really found anything like it, in any period medieval through Victorian.
But it sure sounds like it should be old, doesn't it?

For those who will ask 'Recipe Please": In your favorite pumpkin pie recipe
substitute for the pumpkin an equal amount of thick applesauce, peferably
homemade.  I've thought some of the apple moy recipes would be like it if
cooked in a coffin, but haven't found anything that makes me feel I've
really documented it.

Bonne