SC - Clove oil

BaronessaIlaria@aol.com BaronessaIlaria at aol.com
Fri Oct 27 06:36:30 PDT 2000

Adamantius clarified (on the subject of Golden Syrup):
> I imagine a medium-amber corn syrup would make a reasonable substitute,
> but Golden Syrup (as far as I know, this is a trademark of a brand
> called Lyle's) is probably what the recipe is talking about if it comes
> from the UK. Lyle's Golden Syrup (or other brands, if any) is a
> cane/beet sucrose product, very lightly caramelized, roughly the color
> of a light honey. Most people won't know the difference if you use a
> medium corn syrup, but to me corn syrup tastes like corn.

hmmm...

o.k... I know that I got my impression from the fact that it was *with* the
corn syrup, but what I saw in the store was *labeled* "Golden Syrup" on the
label... but I may be misremembering the ingredients and been influenced by
where it was shelved.  now I'm wondering if there are regional variations
causing the confusion (since mi'Lady Olwen said that it was "brown" Karo,
and I've never heard medium corn syrup, just dark and light.) ... so now
I've got to go to the grocery store and see what's on the shelves here and
if I can find it.

it's good to know that I'm not misremembering about the Golden Syrup on the
label, and the stores where I buy my groceries often have imports, so I may
have been looking at Lyle's... so I'll check.   I was *really* foggy last
night, so I was concerned I might get things confused.

now I want to know if there are different varieties :-)

Lady Celia (who *loves* to play with different, non-refined sweeteners <g>)