SC - Names and Beliefs- getting sillier

Serian serian at uswest.net
Fri Oct 27 07:25:03 PDT 2000

Some time ago Paul Macgregor posted a recipe for a "Dyschefull of Snowe"
along with a redaction titled "Apple Snow" from  "A Book of Historical
Recipes" by Sara Paston-Williams.  It is claimed to be a Scottish
Elizabethan recipe dated 1572 AD. I was planning to make the redaction as a
special desert for tea tomorrow and so took the time to compare the two
recipes.  It seems to me that they are different recipes bearing only a
passing resemblance to each other - they have the same ingredients,
basically.  I have posted both versions and would appreciate the comments of
the Gathered Cooks on this.  I am also interested in redacting (and no
comments from the peanut gallery about a woman who less than 6 months ago
was  unwilling to even think about redacting, thank you very much!) the
original.  To that end, I wonder if people here could tell me how much (in
metric) a gallon measured in Scotland at that time?

Dyschefull of Snowe "Take a pottell (half a gallon) of swete
thycke creame and the whytes of eyghte egges, and beate them altogether wyth
a spone. Then putte them in youre creame and a saucerful of Rosewater, and a
dyshe full of Sugar wyth all. Then take a stycke and make it cleane, and
then cutte it in the ende foure square, and therwith beate all the
aforesayde thynges together, and ever as it ryseth take it of and put it
into a Collaunder. This done, take one apple and set it in the myddes of it,
and a thicke bushe of Rosemary, and set it in the myddes of the Platter.
Then cast your Snowe uppon the Rosemary and fyll your platter therwith. And
yf you have wafers caste some in wyth all and thus serve them forthe."

Apple Snow
 1 1/2 lb   Cooking apples; peeled, cored & sliced
     1 tb   Rose-water
            Caster sugar; to taste
     3      Egg whites
     3 oz   Caster sugar
   1/4 pint Whipping cream
            GARNISH
            Fresh rosemary sprigs
            Gold dragees

Cook the sliced apples with the rose-water until soft, then rub them through
a fine sieve to make a smooth puree. Taste and sweeten with a little sugar
if necessary. Leave to get cold, then measure out about 1/2 pint. In a large
clean bowl, beat the egg whites until they stand in soft peaks. Gradually
beat in the caster sugar and continue to beat to a stiff, glossy meringue.
Gently fold in the measured apple puree, then spoon into individual glasses
or sundae dishes. Top with swirls of whipped cream and decorate with
rosemary and gold dragees.