SC - Pumpkins and such...

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 28 00:04:30 PDT 2000

Bonne said:
> I use a butternut squash to make my pumpkin pie.  The flesh is less
fibrous,
> so it's easier to get a smooth puree and they are sweeter and more
> flavorful. I think pumpkin is rather bland.
>
> I have to admit these opinions on texture/taste were formed soon after
> moving from home.  At home, mom made pumpkin puree from the remains of
our
> huge ol' jack o'lantern.  Frugal but maybe not the best choice.  Since
then,
> small pumpkins have appeared in the grocery that are id'ed as 'pie
> pumpkins', perhaps these produce as nice a pie as the butternut.

See, I was always told that if you used a pumpkin to make a jack-o-lantern,
then you *couldn't* use the pumpkin flesh to eat, only the seed.  I was
suprised to see the thread on "pumpkin innards" and all the ideas on how to
use what was left when you were done carving, since as I was taught to
carve jack-o-lantern the only thing that came out were the stringy parts
and the seeds, no pumpkin flesh.   Following that discussion I can only
assume that folks scoop out part of the flesh as well as the strings and
seeds when they are carving a pumpkin and use that (since I can't believe
they use the dried up husk after it has sat for a week or so.)

so I've learned a *lot* from this discussion, if nothing else but about the
different ways that people do things :-)

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier