SC - Nobility versus commonor - question

Mastercahankyle@cs.com Mastercahankyle at cs.com
Sat Oct 28 06:05:01 PDT 2000

All, I'm formulating a German Feast for next September.  I want to be able
to "bid" it by April 1, 2001. Since this will be my first SCA feast, I'd
like to keep it as period as possible. I will need to be able to estimate
cost per person, and I've been told we plan for 96 reservations with
additional meals for royalty, servers and musicians for a total of 116 to
132 meals altogether. Tables are based on 8 per table. I have already
enlisted the help of an experienced co-cook, and have a head server. My
menu thoughts so far are:

1. Have pickled vegetables, bread and soft cheese with herbs on the table.
	I have period recipes from the list for pickled mushrooms, and my own
pickling recipes for other vegetables.  I would like documented pickling
recipes to try, I haven't checked Stefen's file - yet. I'll make or
delegate the bread, but I'd like at least a white, a wheat, and a rye. I'll
mix cream cheese with a little cream and minced fresh herbs, either singly
or blended. I'd like to plan 1/2 lb. of two types of cheese spread for each
table. Breads to be refreshed throughout the meal.

2.  I'd like to do Ruzzige Cakes for the first served course. I'm planning
to use the crepe recipe from "Joy" as the base, filling with "A Good
Filling" then placing them in baking pans and baking to heat through just
before serving. Sorry, no soot. Would this be ok for ovo-lacto vegetarians?
Any suggestions as to something to serve with this? Should one per person
be enough?

3.  Second serving: Bratwurst & Kraut with baked buttered carrots.  I want
to make a couple of the mustards I've seen on the list, one fairly spicy,
the other more tame.  Perhaps make one 6 to 8 weeks ahead, the other 2 or
3? For my vegetarians, I'll bake a pan of sauerkraut with onions and spices
separately from the bratwurst. I'll probably use a commercial bratwurst,
due to time restrictions. Looking at 2 brats, 1 cup kraut and 1/2 cup
carrots per serving.

4.  Third serving: Vision of Sauerbrauten with sauce and buttered noodles,
need to research a bit, and would change to roast beef with some period
sauce.  Also need a veggie to go with.  3 oz cooked meat, 1/2 cup sauce and
1/2 cup vegetable. 1 cup cooked noodles per serving.

5. Dessert:  Apple pie or apple strudel with cream or whipped cream
topping. 1/8th of a 9 inch pie.

OK - additions, suggestions, etc.?  Thank you in advance for your help.
Leanna