SC - Malaches (FoC 159)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 29 23:56:29 PST 2000

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> I was glancing through the "Obra de Agricultura" (Spanish
> agricultural manual, 1513), and I came across the chapter on
> cheese.  Herrera says that when making cheese, you can add
> flavors and spices to the milk, so that the cheese will have that
> flavor.  He specifically mentions ground pennyroyal, or caraway,
> and adds that there are many who put in ground-up tender pine
> nuts, but this is only if you are going to eat the cheese fresh.

I wonder why fresh but not aged cheese. Would the oils in the nuts
leach out over time and cause problems? Or would the oil go rancid?

> Sheep dung mixed with vinegar will remove blemishes from the
> body; mixed with oil and wax, it will cure burns.  (Just in case you
> were wondering.)

This is all interesting stuff. Brighid, did you get sent the entire
thing or just some of it? Is it on the web somewhere? Perhaps it would
be useful to have in the Florilegium even if only in the original Spanish.
It would be wonderful to have a translation though. Then I could read it.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net