OT: OOP Klingon Cuisine was Re: SC - OOP: making up bread

Etain1263@aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Mon Oct 30 17:39:27 PST 2000

My comments:

The first thing that struck me about your menu was all
the pickled items you were planning to serve.  The
pickled mushrooms and vegies in the first course, the
sauerkraut in the second course, the sauerbraten in
the third course.  This strikes me as being a bit too
much in the sour category.  You might want to balance
your tastes out a bit.  My suggestion would be to keep
your
your first pickled items, change the bratwurst and
sauerkraut to the third course and make something else
for the second course.  One suggestion would be
Rouladen, which while I haven't documented it as a
period German dish, I have documented it as an English
dish within period, called Olives of Beef, or Olaves
of Beef. There are several recipes available.  And the
English version matches what my Prussian Grandmother
made ingredient for ingredient, technique for
technique.  They are a bit labor intensive, but they
freeze very well and taste just a good whether eaten
fresh or reheated.  I have made rouladen for several
banquets, the largest being for 300 people.  I made
them gradually and froze them in batches.

As for your dessert course, don't make strudel.  It is
not period even remotely.  While apple pie is period,
it isn't particularly German.  I also have a problem
with the concept of a dessert course in that I have
yet to see a period menu that contained a true dessert
course.  But if there is one, I hope that someone will
tell me where to find it.  From what I have
researched, the concept of a dessert is not really
period.  While they did have sweet dishes, they were
always part of the regular course and not segregated.
The closest to a "dessert" that I can think of is the
spectacle dish or the subletie, but these usually were
served between the courses.

Another idea, not particularly period, would be to
serve vegetarian sausages to those who are
vegetarians. They are made the same way that "garden
burgers" are, and are pretty tasty.  This way, the
vegetarians can have a similar item to what you are
serving.

I hope that you find my comments helpful.  I wish that
I lived much closer so that I could attend your feast.

Huette