SC - Rabbit (Was:Planning a German Feast)

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 31 12:32:05 PST 2000

>Master A...do we know if the blade is high-carbon,
>stainless, or high-carbon stainless?  If it is a
>stainless steel blade (which sounds unlikely, because
>of its age), I'm curious to know what the blade is made of, since
>there are other things which need to be taken into
>consideration when dealing with the different metals,
>which the original poster may not be aware of (such as
>washing a high carbon blade immediately after slicing
>lemons, tomatoes, or any other high acid food...)
>
>Balthazar of Blackmoor

My guess from the description of the spotting is that it is high carbon
steel.  They do usually do that.  Stainless would generally not.  You do
bring up a good point though that the knife should be immediately washed and
dried after use with a high acid food.

Frankly, with a high carbon steel blade, I have found the best way to get a
good sharp edge is by sharpening it on the unglazed ridge on the bottom of a
china plate.
Olwen