SC - Good OOP turkey recipe

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 31 13:02:38 PST 2000

> > See, I was always told that if you used a pumpkin to make a
> > jack-o-lantern, then you *couldn't* use the pumpkin flesh to eat,  only
>assume that folks scoop out part of the flesh as well as the
>strings and seeds when they are carving a pumpkin and use that (since I
>can't believe they use the dried up husk after it has sat for a week or
>so.)

In Florida, it's warm enough many Octobers that a jack can't sit around a
week in any case. One year my youth group sold pumpkins, early enough to
undercut the grocery stores, before Oct. 20. The one I brough home rotted,
uncut, within a week stored in the cool, dark hallway.

We carved our jack o'lantern no earlier than the day before Halloween, and
mom processed it the morning after, storing it wrapped in plastic in the
fridge for all but the few hours it was on the porch Halloween eve. We did
not use the lid to prevent soot build up from the candle.

Of course, we are also one of those rare families that doesn't decorate for
Christmas until the weekend before. Not just because one brother's b-day is
Dec 16, but to reinforce the idea of Advent being a time of waiting and
anticipation, not yet the time for celebration.

Bonne