SC - OT-Nobility

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 19:54:39 PST 2000

- --part1_27.ce3e033.2730ebca_boundary

In a message dated 10/31/00 11:26:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
grasse at mscd.edu writes:

> I'm afraid I very much have to disagree with you.
> At least in late period Germany (according to Rumpolt, 1581) there were
> multiple courses and the final course was almost always sweets, fruits,
> etc... (as could modernly be though of as dessert)

There is no disagreement there. However, 1581 CE is more than a hundred years
into modern cookery. Such a concept of a separate dessert course was entirely
lacking throughout the previous 900 years covered by the term 'SCA period.' I
would venture to say the drastic changes that occurred with the introduction
of early modern cookery, covered a period of time within the SCA that is
statistically insignificant and should be looked on as an extraordinary
occurrence in the history of culinary arts rather than be used as
justification to introduce modern concepts into feasts.

Just my .02.....

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol

- --part1_27.ce3e033.2730ebca_boundary