SC - Guinea Pigs?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 21:45:07 PST 2000

Catherine Deville wrote:

> I'm specifically interested in Cantonese and
> learning to make lo mein noodles.

For noodles, the best book I've seen, bar none, is _Florence Lin's
Complete Book of Chinese Noodles, Dumplings, and Breads_, pub. William
Morrow, 1986, ISBN 0-688-03796-8

Ms. Lin is a cookery teacher at the China Institute in New York, and is
the author of the Time-Life International Cookbook series volume on
Chinese cookery. However, Ms. Lin is not herself from the South of
China, so perhaps there are better authorities on the cuisine[s]
overall, but I repeat that as far as I know, you can't do better for
noodle-based dishes.

For Cantonese cooking overall, see nearly anything by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo
(she's the wife of Fred Ferretti, columnist and one of the editors at
Gourmet magazine), or, interestingly enough, that old classic standby at
the Barnes and Noble remainder/sale book shelf, Chang and Kutscher's "An
Encyclopedia of Chinese Food and Cooking".

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com