Canning/Preservatioon (was Re: SC - Re: Easy period soups?)

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Mon Oct 2 10:30:40 PDT 2000

<<<<<<<Anybody have any idea how long home-canned chicken soup is supposed to
be good for? Because I have a jar of soup that my mom canned in the summer
of 1999 and I'm embarrassed to ask her whether it should still be good.
- -- Jadwiga (who can't find any of her canning books, and lent her copy
of Fannie Farmer to someone who needed the pizza recipe for sausage

I am currently doing an independent study through the county extension service about preservation methods in the home.  It depends on the process used.  If done properly, then the food is nigh invincible as long as the lid doesn't pop.  It is effectively sterilized if using a hot/pressure canning system, if I am reading the literature correctly.

niccolo difancesco