Canning/Preservatioon (was Re: SC - Re: Easy period soups?)

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Mon Oct 2 11:56:43 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/2/00 10:35:42 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
NJSasso at msplaw.com writes:

> .  If done properly, then the food is nigh invincible as long as the lid
> doesn't pop.

My grandmother, during the heyday of bomb shelters, equipped all her shelters
and then canned them to the rafters with her "foods she felt wouldn't be
available anymore during a war" including peaches, etc. In 1989, after the
birth of my last son, she sent me a jar of peaches with the date 1966 on it
and the notation that "Now you can have a taste of history, and so can your
son, if you wait 6 months". When he started eating semi-hard food, I opened
the can and ground up the peach and fed it to him. It was delicious. No
problems. So, yeah, they can last **quite** a while if properly canned and
stored.

Lars