SC - questions aboutHOT LENTIL SALAD WITH SUMAK & the recipe & quest. about peas

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Oct 3 16:12:31 PDT 2000

Some questions please:
Can anyone tell me what time period this recipe is from?
Also (and not about this recipe) are dry pea beans and split peas the same
thing?   (How do they get dried split peas to get like that?  Are they
regular peas? - be nice - don't laugh at me)  Has anyone ever tasted Hot
lentil salad?  did you like it?

Thanks
Phillipa

HOT LENTIL SALAD WITH SUMAK
from Anthimus' De Obseruatione Ciborum Epistula  (roughly, "A Little Letter
Of Observations On Foods")

1 C lentils
2 T olive oil

Bring 2 C water to the boil and add the lentils.
Turn off the heat and let them sit for half an hour.
Pour off this water and add 2 C fresh hot water and 2 T olive oil to the
lentils and bring   them to the boil again and then simmer them for 30
minutes.
Then add:

1/4 C vinegar
1 T sumak