SC - MEXICAN CHOCOLATE BREAD

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 5 04:05:40 PDT 2000

Catherine Deville wrote:

> ummm... I just noticed... there's no salt in this recipe.  is that right?
> (i'm not an experienced bread cook and have just recently begun working
> with real *yeast* breads and haven't run across a recipe yet that doesn't
> have salt to activate the yeast.)

Salt would be there, most likely, to make gluten strands extensible, for
a lighter bread. I don't think it has much direct beneficial effect on
the yeast itself, although I suppose anything's possible. I wonder if
it's possible that using salted butter or margarine is assumed. For that
matter, I wonder why this Mexican bread recipe isn't using lard anyway.
Ah well, mine is not the reason why, mine is to eat the stuff and say
"Yum."

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy