SC - drinks in Gaza

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 5 15:05:38 PDT 2000

Hello the List!

I went to Gaza a couple of weekends ago (before the riots started - gosh,
hope it wasn't the 4 inches of ankle I showed while paddling on the beach
that started them) and while wandering around the market in Gaza City
noticed several men with large urns on their backs selling cold drinks.

Our friend, a local, said he didn't like the stuff because it was too sweet,
so I didn't buy one for myself, but my lord husband did, and it was Syrup of
Tamarind!  Wow!  I had assumed (goodness knows why) when I made it myself a
year or so ago) that it must be diluted, but these guys drink it straight,
and _very_ sweet.

Must have been the overdose on sugar that induced me to buy 2 CDs of
Egyptian Pop music...

Cairistiona