SC - RE: Ruzzige Cake

Hupman, Laurie LHupman at kenyon.com
Fri Oct 6 10:33:15 PDT 2000

This is from my notes.  After several unsatisfactory tries with the crust, I
ended up using a basic pizza dough.  It got me through the feast, but went
onto the "needs further experimentation" list.  My source was Alia Atlas'
online translation.

52. Ein gut fülle (A good filling)

Der ein gut köcherye machen wil. der hacke petersylien und salbey. glich
vil. und brate sie in butern und tüftele eyer weich. und menge daz zu
sammene. und ribe kese und brot dor in. und mache ein blat von eyern. und
giuz butern dor under. und schüte diz dor uf. gib im flur oben uf. und laz
backen. diz sint ruzzige küechin.

He who wants to make a good dish chops parsley and sage, exactly as much.
And fry them in butter and beats eggs soft.  And mix that together. And
grate cheese and bread therein. And make a leaf from eggs. And pour butter
thereunder. And pour this thereon. Give it flowers on top. And let bake.
This is ruzzige cake.

Ruzzige Cake

Crust:
2 cups flour
2/3 cup warm water
1/2 tsp yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter

Dissolve yeast in warm water and add to flour, olive oil and salt. Mix into
a soft dough and knead for 10 minutes. Cover with a damp towel and allow to
rise for two hours. Punch back down and knead until smooth and elastic.

Use butter to grease a 9x9 cake pan. Press dough flat and stretch it into
the pan, pinching up around the edges.

Filling:
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped sage
2 tbsp butter
4 eggs
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Lightly saute the parsley and sage in butter. In a separate bowl, whisk
together the eggs, breadcrumbs and cheese, then mix in the parsley and sage.
Pour over the prepared crust and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. The filling
should set like a quiche, and the crust should be slightly browned.

If you can help me out with a flour/egg crust, I'd be really happy.

Thanks,
Rose