SC - Re: Canada Cooks Symposium and now a Midrealm Cook's Symposium

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 05:49:40 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/10/00 5:51:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> I will post what I have soonest (when my hands thaw out). Perhaps Hauviette
>  can fill the rest of us in....?

I can fill in some, but Gwen-Cat can jump in here any time as well.
It was cold with a capital C. I arrived Friday night and thought I'd stay
warm waiting for people to show up by curling up in my -40 below sleeping bag
on my air mattress in my bunk (made for 9 year olds). I was so cold (cramped)
that I developed a pinched muslce in my neck and shoulder (old fighting
injury-taught how to throw this really cool wrap by hyperextending my elbow-
ow!) Anyhow, I was sooooo cold I decided that staying where i was was the
best thing, until 5 am when I was in too much pain to lay down, promptly sat
up and whacked my head on the beam of the bunk overhead!

That was the worst of it, for at 5 am, I wandered down to the kitchen where
it was warm, there was coffee and comraderie. I chipped in to help (had knife
and apron, will travel). I met so many wonderful people.

Gwen-Cat and Micaylah were but two of them. I am hard pressed to list all the
cooks but I can honestly say that the friendship developed over those two
days was worth more than the comfort of  a warm hostel. (I must admit I stole
away Saturday night to a hotel, I was in excrutiating pain and had to get
some sleep, but I got back as soon as I could)

This was a great experience and I recommend it to others. At which I take the
opportunity to announce an upcoming Cook's Symposium here in my shire of
Starleaf Gate-Midrealm. As I missed the deadline for the Pale announcement, I
would appreciate anyone printing this out and bringing it to a meeting or to
your local cooks guild. I am looking for instructors.

The Cook’s Guild of the Shire of  Starleaf
Gate proudly presents
A Cooks Symposium

December 2, 2000
Site opens 9am- Closes 9pm

Trinity United Church 1970 Tourangeau Rd - Windsor, Ontario Canada
make checks to “SCA-Starleaf Gate” Cnd funds please

Site fee: $3 plus a dish for feast
A simple lunch will be available

Join us for a day of good company, learning and eating!
Classes for beginners (learn how to cook a feast) and for advanced cooks.
Recipe Swap (day of event)
Discussions on the art of cooking in the medieval style, modern issues such
as food safety and  networking with other cooks.

People interested in teaching, please contact the Steward below.
Limited Merchanting space avail.  for cooking related goods.

Site is bone dry, smoke free, handicap accessible and has decent kitchen
facilities

Event Steward
Lady Hauviette d’Anjou/ Channon R.Mondoux
1534 Church rd. Windsor, Ont. N8X1V3
- - (519) 255-7812 or email at channonm at aol.com

Directions
Best route to Windsor via Tunnel/401
from U.S. - tunnel exits to Park St, turn Right (east), next light is Goyeau
turn Right (north) follow to Tecumseh Rd , turn Left (east).......

from 401- exit at Dougall Rd (3B), eventually you will come upon an S-curve,
it becomes Ouellette, follow this to Tecumseh rd, Turn Right (east).....
....follow until Tourangeau rd , look to your left behind bank.